Friday, October 22, 2010

Translation Please..........................

From time to time...............I had no idea what folks were sayin' in this part of the world...............

Like this.......as I was struggling with a coffee machine one of my first days out and about.........

A friendly fellow brushes past me and says with what seems like marbles in his mouth............

"Atsacumpulkatedpaceuvaquimantasnit?"   I turn to my translator with a blank stare and she says...............

"It's a complicated piece of equipment isn't it?"

And just today, I asked a guy behind the counter of a beautiful cafe if the sandwich I had picked out would keep until tomorrow morning...............he replied,

"dyaaveagrilla"..............."excuse me?", I said with a furrowed brow.........again, a little more clearly he said, "d'ya'avagrilla?"

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHH," I replied,  "DO I HAVE A GRILLER?"

He explained it would be better heated up.........

And as I waited for my lunch to be served a man slips by my table and says straight at me.............

"ellothereguday"...............I reply, "of course"........pretending to understand........I laughed myself silly as I deciphered what he said.

And yes, this has been fun................and I can't believe this part of my journey is over............I have really settled into this amazing lofty land........I even cross the street now without confusion..........looking right now not left........and the coins are familiar to me as are the slippery bills....

I will miss it.........and most of all I will miss my friends here. I have never felt so welcome anywhere else in the world.

And now I'm off to a small island north of here.......and a new adventure.


"Unless we change our direction, we will wind up where we are headed."     
  ~ Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment