Sunday, May 17, 2015

Lend me a hand….

This will be a busy summer filled with travel. (Yea!)

With that in mind, I'm focused on 'ticking the boxes' on my 'to do' list.
One of the items on that list was getting some kind of track light fixture over my fireplace.
Little did I know the 'flexible' fixture I chose would be more of a challenge than I bargained for.

The first challenge was how to get the pattern on the ceiling to mark the support locations.

Of course it had to be


My first attempt was to make a pattern from paper and tape

and although that was fun to make in a Captain Kangaroo kind of way...

this time consuming idea was doomed from the start.

Then I tapped into my art supply stash….

and found 10 feet of supple modeling wire

which worked perfectly for transferring my pattern to the ceiling.

After I placed the track supports in the best locations,

my next challenge 

was to get the floppy wet noodle of a track near the ceiling to connect it….

and using items from the chaos near by….

(that's an 'eel spear'….don't ask)

I was able to finish my project

(and make Home Depot proud)

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Studio progress...

This is a very pretty 'before I packed all my stuff back into it' photo…

It's still in disarray as I work on other projects, but a clean comfortable space now

and today I like THIS

                                            "I was told once that chaos is the alchemy of truth and beauty"                                                                
                                                                                Jane Cather

Friday, May 1, 2015

rescue, repair, retreat…..

Last weekend I lifted my nose from the grindstone just long enough to see that the 
Wildlife Rescue Center at the end of my street was 
hosting an 'open house'.

Sensing this was a rare opportunity (and it was, as this is a yearly event) I drove straight ahead, instead of turning onto my lane……

And my reward was…..

meeting Mister


the largest of it's species,

 Mr. Horned Owl

a group of terrifically knowledgable and dedicated volunteers,

and an amazingly talented teenager…
who gave me permission to photograph her sketchbook.

Leaving this place left me feeling uplifted
 and filled with 


and somehow lighter, richer and secure

in knowing there are much more important things going on in this world

 than my little project

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

On the path to another workspace...

Since last fall I've been working on my back yard restoration. Which I might add was precipitated by my neighbor's untimely (or timely) pruning of his magnificent Wisteria.  The removal of his rickety arbor before the pruning of the Wisteria caused it to collapse on my even more rickety fence, which prompted me to consider a sturdy wall, and subsequently a new patio and of course landscaping.


 before I could complete the work on my planned studio I needed to complete the construction of my back yard walls, patio and landscaping.

You see, the only access to my back yard was through the back door of my garage/studio.

this door… the back of this space…..leads to the back yard

It would have been nice to show you the finished yard, but in the flow of 'getting things done'
the contents of this space
have since been moved to the back yard and squeezed into my living room and kitchen

during which I lost my spectacles in this chaos

forcing me to wear these

which I bought in an Annie Hall moment last year

all in preparation

for finishing out this space.

For the record, since I moved in, I had the original door to the back yard replaced with this glass one,
a garage heater installed, and electrical outlets installed along the left wall. I also had the fan, that was formerly in the living room re-installed in this space. Lighting looks to be the next issue I address


the floor is scheduled to be refurbished by the end of the week. 

It occurs to me I have tons of before and after photos……
and wish I'd shared more along the way but that didn't happen.
Hopefully I'll recap some of the work when I finally get internet installed in this place.

As far as studios go. Gosh, isn't that a long story.
It certainly has been a struggle for me over the years to find a place to settle. 
Someday I'll share some of my spaces. 
This one isn't perfect for sure, but I intend to settle and organize it once and for all.

The interesting thing is that finding a space to create freely and easily was the reason I even bought this place.

And as usual, it's the last room to be addressed. 

Saturday, April 18, 2015

There is reward for hard work…….


It's Spring!

(look closely for the Hummingbird Hawk-Moth!)

This yard is near the nature center, the river and on a migratory route.

In the past few weeks I've been treated to the bellowing of Sandhill Cranes crowding the sky, a Hawk with Prey and a lively Roadrunner all viewed from my tiny space…
Still rubbing my eyes at the sightings.