Saturday, August 10, 2013

Be Here Now....

When I arrived in New Mexico two years ago,

 I was introduced to this Iconic Book by Ram Dass,

describing his journey to enlightenment...




and realized I was probably the only one of my age group who had not read it....

(of course in 1971 I was 20 and raising a 2 year old,
thus not reading books about our expansive universe, but that's another story...)


Ever since I learned where it was originally published

I've been curious about this place....


It is a commune that still exists just north of Taos

down a long and winding dirt road 


please enjoy my visit...





















It was in between workshops and conferences that day we visited...

and was very 

quiet.

Which suited me well.

We were pointed around the community by our guide Seth who'd been living there for 4 years...

I asked him how the community was sustained...

his reply...

"It's a miracle"



We stayed for quite some time....wandering freely about the large compound

We were invited to partake of their food, and tea and invited to dinner which we declined...

and although it all appeared very 70's 'commune' in it's intention....

there was something very grounded and current about it's residents.

Seth explained they receive much of their money from workshops and hermitages held on the property

and all of that was very intriguing to me....

especially the hermitage possibility.

Learning of daily heart centered meditation and yoga

and seeing sleeping bodies all around


made for a very peaceful place indeed.

Learn more about the Lama Foundation here...



You can also google for it and find some interesting first hand experiences and videos about the property

2 comments:

  1. this was my bible and still is ...ram dass still is a good voice . never visited this site but lots of others during this time.in 1971 i was 22 in art school and doing pretty much what i wanted to . my daughter was born in 1977 . i will have to check this place out .
    good post .. i do relate.
    kathyd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh to be your 22. It took me 40 years more to do 'pretty much' what I want.

      Delete