Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mind-full-ness......ouch!

As I have been navigating uncharted waters......I have been looking for signs (as in "please God")........

Last week as I was securing a storage space for my move I noticed a young woman with a wrist brace on.........I thought out loud........"that is the last thing you need to happen during a move".....and she replied that it wasn't bad, but thought to brace it 'just in case'...........and I made note.

What I thought was........the last thing I need is to get hurt during my move.  So in my speech and actions, I have been very careful.  Noting to hire packing help.......and moving help......and the words came out of my mouth yesterday when talking to my son about moving some furniture......."I am being very careful.....and do not want anyone to be hurt in this move..."and he agreed.  I knew for certain I was not going to be lifting any heavy things.......


And then my thoughts went to an acquaintance of mine (an artist) who made the decision to 'pack it all up' and leave for another adventure.........the last time I saw her......just before her move.....she was in a wheel chair......she had severely hurt her ankle.....I don't know the details..........but I became acutely aware.........of this phenomena......of getting hurt during a big 'move'..........so this was not going to happen to me......because.........


I am MINDFUL..........


I even take Mindfulness Yoga classes......every Tuesday.......to complement the other Yoga classes I take totaling three a week.......knowing I am in tip top shape doing that.......but uh.......I have not been making my Sunday classes for one reason or another.........and have noted to mySelf.......Tuesday 'mindfulness' classes have waned.......packing the studio has taken precedence.........at some point I told my Self I need to make my move a priority or it will not get done.........and then I let my Thursday night class slip for the same reason........and then I noticed I missed a really important Enneagram gathering.........how could THAT happen?.....it was so important!   And I meditate!.....or I have a cushion....and go to a Sangha once a month........and.......that practice has waned as well......


And then........I went to Toronto.....and was knocked off kilter a bit.......and well, other stuff happened.......and now my landlord wants to show my townhouse for future tennants and it has to look 'presentable' does it not?..........and I rushed to my enameling studio class today after doing just that.......with a bulwark of work to do since today was the last chance to work..........and...


Then I worked.......with classmates......wishing me good travels and talk talk talk......as I kept my nose to the grindstone, working working working......not thinking .....just staying with the flow..........trying to ignore all the stories swirling around me as happens when many smart gals get together............


And then I noticed out of the corner of my eye, across the room, my friend Janice began to struggle with a process I know so well......and I went to help her.  It is a process of reducing the diameter of silver wire......for our purpose, to make 'springy' ear wires for earrings........and imagine, Janice is in a sling from shoulder surgery......quite a sight.........


So I went over and swiftly solved her dilemma.......it was magic...........and I was for some reason, still aware of her struggle.......


I'm coming to the end of the story.......so bear with me........


As I noted my friend was reducing wire....... I realized that was 'my' next task........that HAD to be done today......as I am HOT on making these earrings.......I digress......


So I finally got to the task........15 minutes before the end of our class time.........sterling silver wire in hand.....with the confidence of a bull fighter.........I began to file a point on the wire.......and noticed a struggle there....hmmmm.....I am so good at this........focus focus.........and then finally the wire fit in the first hole of the draw plate.......and with the heavy snub nosed pliers designed specifically for this purpose..... I grabbed ahold of the tiny chiselled point.........remembering the words I spoke to my friends as they struggled......."You control 'IT'.....in this case the wire.......'IT' does not control you.........."


So as I pulled.........probably two feet of wire......which reduces to four feet of wire.........I exclaimed....."OH, I usually only pull 'one' foot at a time"............and as I was on my second pass.....my pull.........became the equivalent of winning a "tug of war" match........A COMPLETE SUPRISE  to me......and within a second..........the long silver wire released it's hold from the plate........and sent me careening across the room........to fall to the floor in a crumble........with my body and right wrist wedged against the massive wooden leg of a long workbench..........Ouch........I'm lucky I didn't hit my head!!!


"I'M OK, I'M OK!......REALLY I'M OK!" I whimpered to the astonished crowd that gathered about me..................(as I nursed my bruised wrist.....still holding the heavy pliers and silver wire............Trying to erase what had just happened........)


The morel of the story.....?   Pay attention.  Don't rush.........Be mindful......... and be kind to yourSelf when dumb stuff happens.

Accident report........

I have iced and supported my wrist......noting every nuance of pain.....and taken suitable meds. I think it is just seriously bruised.........

I'm feeling very humbled.  I love my wrist and the service it provides me............and I'm wearing a wrist brace 'just in case'......

2 comments:

  1. oh dear. may be time to start wearing padding as well
    or
    lay out a mattress or three
    just
    in
    case

    ReplyDelete
  2. mattresses...........good idea.........just have to figure out where i'll fall next.

    ReplyDelete