Thursday, October 4, 2012

San Diego.....

Usually when some one invites me to 'come with' my answer is a resounding 'Yes!'........and last weekend, my 'Yes' brought me to San Diego...........

Where we visited.....the amazing and beautiful



The site of two world fairs on land set aside in 1868 has set the stage for an amazing grouping of museums and parkland


and at the sprawling San Diego campus of the University of California.....UCSD

we viewed example after example of monolithic architecture.... buildings made of poured concrete


and mirrored glass......


anchored in groves of eucalyptus

and enjoyed wonderful California cuisine......


and beautiful sunsets over Pacific Beach and La Jolla Cove


but my favorite was the tour we took of this place



The Salk Institute, in La Jolla

Where I learned of the ideas behind this timeless archtecture ........

a melding of the ideas of two brilliant men......Dr. Jonas Salk, famous for his polio vaccine and existential architect Louis Kahn........



Their vision and working relationship, bound together with their mutual Spiritual understanding and practice formed the breathtaking beauty we see here today........

one of the premier scientific research facilities in the world....

2 comments:

  1. What extraordinary places you have been visiting. The Salk Institute looks stunning and the Balboa Park has been on my 'to see' list for a long time. Did you go to the Mingei Museum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Blandina, I don't think my feet touch the ground.....and no, sadly there was no time for the Mingei this visit.....a reason to return!!?

    ReplyDelete