Sunday, February 13, 2011

Oracle Cards..............

From time to time..........when I'm feeling wistful or a bit aimless.........wondering why it is taking so long to figure out the rest of my life............being a bit impatient with the lull of winter..........I turn to my collection of Oracle cards.

This day..................I consulted the Wisdom of the Four Winds Oracle Cards by Barry Brailsford, beautifully illustrated by Cecilie Okada.  They are cards that carry the legends of the Maori......supported by their Spiritual home, Aotearoa......The Land of the Long White Cloud.......New Zealand.

One of the things one can do with these cards, is to focus on one of the Wind Songs with one thought in mind........

And on this day.........I chose..........

The Wind Song of Direction gathers when you wish to know where the Sacred Wind carries you at this time........


Yes.........what direction am I headed?..............


and this card came to meet me as I chose it from the spread.......

















And these are the gifts............


























Which actually hold great meaning for me.....in this phase of my life.......





And that is....... since I've been home from my great journey, all I can think about, is paring down my life.........you know......getting rid of more stuff.  Carrying 'little' for the journey that I know I am on now.........

It seems like I emptied half of my big house already.........and I know there is more work to be done.  That pile of stuff in the basement that I don't use........is really gnawing at me.  And so is the pile of stuff in my studio.

And I'm also thinking seriously about my art practice.  I am one of the unfortunates who LOVES to do many things.........and also can do many things fairly well...........so I keep the pile of stuff ready for when the mood strikes........or need arises.

So what to do there?  How does one decide which direction to move when paring down?

So that got me to thinking about what I really need.  Truth is I don't need much to keep myself busy.......and one of the greatest joys of my journey in OZ..........was at Wirrealpa Station......where there was a sea of broken glass from generations of dumping and using bottles for target practice........and I was mesmerized for hours.......just sorting it.......



and making this.........


Which would have grown had I more time.....










So yes.............what do I really 'need' for my practice.......?

And I know there is a death of the old in my life right now......and a balancing is happening.......and I know I must continue this journey...........And I hope I do find the courage to set aside the comfortable.....so that I may bravely embrace the necessary and walk towards a deeper wisdom.

To be continued..........

2 comments:

  1. A lot of artists have similar issues: interest in many things and some ability to do many things fairly well. Really, it just means you're an artist. I know it's been a "thing" for me. I finally decided I needed to make a commitment to "one thing" (painting). But I always wonder if there's some other thing to do & what am I missing?! And I think it's good to stretch ourselves into other areas sometimes, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna.........It is always nice to be affirmed......and I do think it is a good idea to 'stretch' every day!

    ReplyDelete